News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/21/2019 12:00:00 PM to 2/24/2019 12:00:03 AM.

News Flash

Fire Department

Posted on: January 23, 2019

[ARCHIVED] Heating is the second leading cause of home fires.


The following are a few of the things that can ensure that you have a safe winter while trying to keep your home warm. Home fires occur more in winter than in any other season.

  • Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.
  • Install and test smoke alarms at least once a month. Working smoke alarms are especially important during a loss of power when people may use alternate forms of heating equipment, portable generators and candles.
  • Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.
  • Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container, and keep it outside at least 10 feet from your home and any nearby buildings.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.
  • Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time.
  • Never use an oven to heat your home.
  • Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email