The following are a few of the things that can ensure that you have a safe winter while trying to keep your home warm.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.
- Install and test smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container, and keep it outside at least 10 feet from your home and any nearby buildings.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time.
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.